All over the world, men and women have been experiencing hair loss problems for centuries. The problem of hair loss, which occurs more with the effect of aging, manifests itself at a younger age in some people due to genetic predisposition or environmental factors. However, a permanent solution is provided to the hair loss and hair loss problem, which causes this aesthetic and psychological problem, thanks to the hair transplantation process.
What İs Hair Transplantation?
Hair transplantation is the process of transferring hair follicle seeds applied to the same area to the problem of baldness as a result of loss of hair follicles in the scalp area due to various reasons. The hair transplant procedure, the first trials of which were started by a Japanese dermatologist in the 1930s, began to be applied worldwide after the 1950s. Today, hair transplantation procedures have reached the highest level. Thanks to the development of technology, the methods that are renewed every day and the new devices used, hair transplantation operations applied around the world have a high success rate. Hair follicle seeds collected from the donor area where the hair follicles are healthy are transferred to the bald area to provide a permanent solution to baldness. There are many methods for this process, the methods applied may vary from person to person. It differs in the devices used according to the method.
What Are The Causes Of Hair Loss?
Hair strands generally have an average life span of 4-6 years. This process progresses in the form of elongation, stopping and shedding. Losing 100 to 200 strands of hair per day is considered normal. However, in some people this number is much higher. Because the shedding is so fast and intense, permanent hair loss is experienced at earlier ages. The reasons for hair loss are;
- Genetic factors: due to genetic reasons, hair loss is more common in men. Those with a family history of hair loss and the effect of aging accelerate hair loss. In women, on the other hand, male pattern hair loss is seen rarely.
- Skin problems: Hair loss occurs due to skin diseases such as psoriasis, eczema and acne. Those who experience regional intermittent hair loss on the scalp can solve their problems, which they cannot solve with drug treatment, with hair transplantation.
- Vitamin and mineral deficiency: Experiencing a lack of vitamins and minerals such as B12, vitamin D, biotin, zinc, folic acid, which are necessary for hair growth, causes the hair to not grow and shed.
- Hormonal causes: Especially in women, with the change of hormonal balances with childbirth and menopause, excessive hair loss and hair loss are experienced.
- Malnutrition: hair loss occurs due to irregular and incomplete nutrition, uniform nutrition and not consuming enough fluids.
- Diseases: Sudden hair loss is experienced due to diseases such as thyroid, cancer, diabetes.
- Drug use: hair loss occurs due to long-term use of drugs such as thyroid, diabetes, kidney, blood pressure, cancer.
- Chemotherapy treatment: As a result of chemotherapy and radiation treatments applied for cancer disease, all of the hair may be lost and dense hair may not grow back as before.
- Cosmetic reasons: shampoo, conditioner, styling products cause hair loss when care is not taken due to their excessive chemical content.
- Depression and stress: excessive stress and constant depression cause hair loss.
- Shedding due to hair structure: some hair structures are genetically predisposed to shedding. Hair with thin strands or weak root structure shed more quickly.
Hair Transplantation Methods Used Around The World
There are many hair transplant methods used around the world. With the developing technology, these methods are developing and innovations are made. The quality of the devices used is also improving at the same rate. Some of the best hair transplantation methods in the world are;
- FUT method
FUT technique, which is the oldest hair transplantation method used worldwide, is not used much nowadays. In the FUT hair transplantation method, the hair follicles are cut together with the skin in strips and transferred to the bald area. The procedure, which is applied with local anesthesia, takes 4 to 8 hours. However, it is no longer preferred in the FUT hair transplant method, as a horizontal scar remains.
- FUE method
FUE hair transplantation method, which is one of the most preferred methods in the world, started to be applied after the 2000s. In this technique, in the first stage, the hair is shortened and local anesthesia is applied to the donor area. Afterwards, the hair follicle seeds are collected from the shedding-resistant nape area without cutting them one by one. The collected hair follicles are kept in a special section. Afterwards, channels are opened in the area to be transplanted. Collected hair root seeds are placed in these opened channels. The hair follicles taken are 1 in 2, depending on the need, on average 2000 to 5,000
Hair follicle transplantation can be done between Hair transplantation with microsurgery technique does not leave any scars and the success rate is very high.
- Sapphire FUE hair transplant method
The application method of the sapphire Fue technique, which is the infrastructure of the FUE technique, is the same as the FUE technique. The only difference is the materials used. Special sapphire tipped blades are used in the Sapphire Fue technique. Since these knives are very sharp, the grooving step is much easier. Since the angle of the opened channels is more accurate, the probability of the hair follicle seeds to be attached is much higher.
- DHI hair transplant method
One of the newest and most preferred methods in the world lately is DHI, that is, direct hair transplantation. This method is basically similar to the classical hair transplant application. However, it makes a difference in terms of the material used. In DHI hair transplantation method, after local anesthesia application, hair root seeds are collected from the donor area with a special medical pen called choi. The collected hair follicle seeds are transferred to the area by applying light pressure to the hairless area with the same special medical pen without waiting. One of the reasons why DHI hair transplantation method is most preferred in the world is that it can be done unshaven or partially shaved. This procedure is mostly preferred by women who do not want to shave. In addition, the success rate of the DHI hair transplant method is quite high.
- Stem cell supported hair transplantation method
Stem cell-assisted therapies are used in many health fields today. This treatment method, which is used even in difficult diseases such as cancer, is also used in hair transplantation methods. Thanks to the newly popular stem cell-supported hair transplantation procedures, the healthy attachment and growth of the transplanted hair are made more successful. Stem cells taken from the person’s body are separated and injected into the hairy and balding area of the patient before hair transplantation. Thanks to this application, stronger hair is obtained. Stem cell-assisted hair transplantation method is on its way to becoming one of the best hair transplantation methods in the world.