There are some points you should pay attention to after bariatric surgery. Paying attention to these points will make it easier for the operation to be successful and for you to reach your target weight. These points should be paid attention to in order to protect your physical health and not be harmed.
Going for regular checkups
1.-3.-6. after obesity surgery. And there are 1st Year checks. After the operation, you stay in the hospital for a certain period of time, and if you experience problems such as discharge, bleeding, fever and abdominal pain on the stitches after discharge, you should contact your nursing doctor without waiting for the 1st month control.
Attention should be paid to nutrition
The most common condition after surgery is fatigue and nausea. In order to improve this situation, you should pay attention to your diet. Eating plenty of fluids and protein will be a solution to this nausea and fatigue. Sudden weight loss is likely to make you tired. In this process, you can find a solution to these complaints with regular nutrition and rest. The things to be considered while feeding in this process are;
- Even if hunger is not felt, small amounts should be fed frequently.
- Their food should be chewed until they become liquid.
- There should be approximately 15-20 minutes between snacks and at least 30 minutes between main meals.
- Solid and liquid foods should not be consumed at the same time.
- Very cold or very hot foods should not be consumed.
- At each meal, first protein foods, then fiber-containing foods should be consumed, and finally carbohydrate foods.
- Water should be consumed 30 minutes before and 30 minutes after the meal, and not during the meal.
- Excessive fat, sugar, carbohydrate foods should not be consumed.
- Consuming too much food in a single meal may create the possibility of vomiting.
Foods that should not be consumed after surgery
You should not consume certain foods after the operation. These foods are;
- Excessively sugary foods
- All sweets
- Acidic drinks
- Alcohol products
- Fatty dairy products
- Oily products such as mayonnaise cream
- Chewing gum
- Skinned meats
- Ice cream, frozen yogurt
- Ready packaged foods
- Foods rich in carban hydrate such as pizza and bread
- Very salty foods
You should change your diet after the operation
With obesity surgery, the habitual diet completely changes. First of all, you should prepare yourself psychologically about this issue. If you have a problem such as an eating disorder, it would be good for you to seek therapy beforehand. While you can consume all foods before the surgery, you will not be able to consume some foods afterwards. Therefore, before the operation, a pre-operative diet is applied to get used to the new order as body and mind. Since your stomach will shrink during the surgery, eating large amounts of food as before will put weight on your stomach. You should familiarize yourself with eating small amounts of certain foods frequently after surgery. In order not to experience constipation after the operation, attention should be paid to fluid consumption. Liquid and solid foods should not be consumed at the same time.
Water consumption after the operation
Water should be consumed very slowly in the first stage after bariatric surgery. In the first place, it is recommended to consume sips with a straw. In the next stages, increase your daily water amount to 2-2.5 liters with the recommendation of your doctor.
Use of additional vitamins
You may have some complaints after the operation. When you go to check what the cause of these is, vitamin and mineral deficiency can be detected with the analyzes made. Additional vitamin and mineral supplements should be taken as a solution to problems such as cramps. Since nutrition is reduced compared to the previous order, if sufficient protein, vitamins and minerals are not taken from the foods, these deficiencies should be filled by using additional products.
Drinks to avoid
Since the stomach volume will decrease after the operation, carbonated drinks should not be consumed because carbonated drinks cause swelling. Some patients have reflux problems, so carbonated drinks should not be consumed. Another beverage that should not be drunk after the operation is alcohol. Since alcoholic products are very high in calories, their consumption will prevent you from losing weight and will put weight on your stomach. Coffee should not be consumed for at least 2 months after the operation.
pregnancy after surgery
You should not get pregnant for at least 12 months after the operation. The ideal period is determined as 18 months.
Sports routine after obesity surgery
Obesity surgery is a surgical procedure and is a physically difficult process. In this process, you should pay attention to your movements and not engage in activities that will damage your stitches. What should be considered about the sports order after the operation is;
- You should take slow walks at home when you are discharged for the first time after obesity surgery.
- You can start walking outside at least 5 days after the operation. These walks should be short and slow.
- Compression stockings worn in the hospital should not be removed 1 week in advance.
- After the operation, you should wait at least 2 months and then you can start light exercises with the approval of the doctor.
- After your doctor approves, you can increase your sports activities.
Skin sagging after the operation
Obesity surgery is performed on overweight people. Losing excess weight in a short time after surgery causes sagging of the skin. The degree of sagging varies according to the patient’s age, skin structure, the exercises he does after the surgery and his attention to his diet. How long it takes to lose weight also affects the size of the sagging. After the operation, it is normal to experience sagging in areas such as the jowl, butt, abdomen, inner leg and chest on the body.
Aesthetics after bariatric surgery
After obesity surgery, skin sagging is experienced in some areas due to rapid weight loss. Weight loss continues for 24 months after the operation. After this process is completed and the targeted weight is reached, you can have the sagging skin removed by having an aesthetic operation.